Welcome All!

If you do not adapt, if you do not learn, you will wither, you will die.

Monday, March 31, 2014

Reflection Time

Most of the leaders that I coach are busy. That's a fact. They are real busy meeting, strategizing, traveling, implementing, overseeing, guiding... The occasional client reflects regularly yet that's the exception. The majority of the leaders I work with tell me there’s not much time to reflect (read: no time at all). And that’s a lousy excuse for not reserving time to do what really improves your professional effectiveness, your EQ, and your wellbeing and that of your staff. Below you find some of the reflection questions my clients have found helpful. And let’s say it as it is: we all take showers, we all wait in line, we all drive or ride public transportation, and we all have many other moments that we can use for reflection if we really want to: 

- What matters most to me? Is that what I spend most of my time on?
- Which values guide me? Do my actions really show this? Do my people know?
- Who have I influenced lately? Today? How is this benefiting them?
- What two ‘things’ inspire and energize me most? How do I grow from this?
- What do I hate when people say this about me? May there be truth in this?
- How focused and present in the here-and-now was I really today?
- What do I tend to deceive myself about? What purpose is this serving?
- What two ‘things’ create stress for me? How may I be creating this myself?
- What am I known for, what is my reputation, how do others describe me?
- What do I better let go off to solidify this position or obtain the next one?
- What are people likely to say about me at the water cooler?
- What do I wish to preserve and take with me regardless where I go?
- What is wise to add to my bag of tools and why haven’t I done this yet?


The most effective ‘reflectionists’ reflect regularly, with input from others who are candid with them, and they follow it up with specific actions to adjust and improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment